- This event has passed.
What is Genetic Counselling?
Learn about genetic counselling and how to become a genetic counsellor with this online course for healthcare professionals.
- Duration: 6 weeks live, 2 hours per week
- Certificate of achievement available on satisfactory completion
- Start Date: The course is run ‘live’ for 6 weeks from the start date above. Once this period is over there will be no live monitoring of the forums, but you can still join and complete the course during the remaining period.
What topics will you cover?
- Why people would see a genetic counsellor
- Some of a genetic counsellor’s key tasks
- A genetic counsellor’s key skills and knowledge: counselling skills, medical and scientific knowledge
- Ethical issues in genetic counselling
- What the future might hold for genetic counsellors
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Identify why people have genetic counselling and the different contexts in which people receive genetic counselling
- Describe the different skills and knowledges needed by genetic counsellors
- Compare genetic counselling in different contexts and different countries
- Reflect on some ethical issues that arise in genetic counselling
- Discuss the role of genetic counselling in healthcare as we enter the ‘genomic era’.